Prime Minister’s Adviser on Political Affairs Rana Sanaullah claimed on Wednesday that during the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf’s (PTI) November 2024 protest, party founder Imran Khan initially agreed to hold talks and not protest at D-Chowk but later withdrew, adding that it was a missed opportunity for his release. In November 2024, PTI supporters left Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa for Islamabad, demanding the restoration of the party's electoral mandate, the release of detained party members and the reversal of the 26th Amendment. However, the protest in the federal capital was brought to an end after the government launched a major operation to prevent protesters from reaching D-Chowk, forcing the senior party leadership to “escape” the scene. In an interview on programme 'Capital Talk' on a private news outlet, Sanaullah revealed that the government, including Interior Minister Naqvi, had made an offer to Imran, proposing that the party hold its planned November 2024 sit-in at Sangjani instead of marching towards D-Chowk. "He (Imran Khan) was being given wise advice, and Mohsin Naqvi was directly engaged in talks with him, telling him not to come towards Islamabad or go to D-Chowk, but to sit in Sangjani and hold talks there. Initially, Imran Khan agreed to this, but after agreeing, he backed out and said that Bushra Bibi would decide. Then she made the decision that they would go to D-Chowk,” Sanaullah said. He explained that if Imran had agreed, he would have received concessions, adding that the decision led to a missed opportunity for his release. Asked about whether Imran had allegedly said that he did not want to come out, Sanaullah replied, “You may say so.” The PM's aide said that the PTI founder could have secured his release from Adiala jail had the party chosen a more peaceful course of action during their 2024 protest. Sanaullah noted that the PTI miscalculated the potential outcome of its street agitation, believing it would spark a revolution. “They thought the street movement would bring about a revolution,” he added. "Imran Khan wants to be released from jail; he does not wish to stay in jail for a single day," Sanaullah continued. "However, PTI and Imran Khan are misjudging the situation. They were under the illusion that their wheel-jam strike on February 8 would create a significant impact." The PM's aide also alleged that Imran was no longer making decisions for PTI independently. Instead, he claimed that Imran’s wife, Bushra Bibi, was exerting influence on the party’s decisions. “Imran was fully following his wife’s advice when he was prime minister, and he still listens to her today,” Sanaullah said. He dismissed claims that Imran had ever resisted his family’s influence on party decisions. In reference to the PTI's announcement earlier today of another street agitation after Eid, he said, “It is understood that Imran’s meeting will be halted during Ramazan following the announcement of launching the street movement." He further remarked that PTI leaders lacked the capability to initiate a successful street movement for Imran's release. He warned that they would be dealt with accordingly if they attempted to create chaos. Sanaullah said PTI's proposed movement after Eid was a "conspiracy" against Imran and the party, adding that the PTI founder had been living in good conditions in jail and receiving quality treatment. He also referenced PTI’s February 8 wheel-jam strike call, which he claimed had received a poor response. The PM’s aide also advised the PTI to engage in talks with Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, who had invited them for discussions on the country’s stability. “They can receive concessions if they take positive initiatives for the country’s development,” he said, adding that the street protests and sit-ins were only further complicating the situation. He criticised the PTI for complaining about Imran’s lack of meetings with his family and PTI leaders. "PTI itself was responsible for the situation due to their use of derogatory language following the meeting with Imran," Sanaullah bit out. "If these meetings were not used for abuse against the state and state institutions or for below-the-belt propaganda, then who was stopping them from having the meetings?” he asked.
from Pakistan News, Latest News Pakistan, Pakistan Headline | The Express Tribune https://ift.tt/w9ZoHAI
Latest News
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ATC grants bail to six TLP workers
An anti-terrorism court (ATC), presided over by Judge Arshad Javed, on Tuesday approved post-arrest bail for six workers of Tehreek-e-Labbaik Pakistan (TLP) accused of arson, vandalism, and attacks on police. Bail was granted to Muhammad Umar, Saeed Ahmed, Saleem Shah, Ishtiaq Ahmed, Rehman Ali, and Imtiaz Ali. The defence counsel stated that the accused were arrested based on statements from co-accused. He pleaded with the court to grant benefit of bail to his clients as no evidence was available against them. After hearing arguments, the court ordered their release on bail.
from Pakistan News, Latest News Pakistan, Pakistan Headline | The Express Tribune https://ift.tt/ZV8UkMH
from Pakistan News, Latest News Pakistan, Pakistan Headline | The Express Tribune https://ift.tt/ZV8UkMH
LHC issues detailed judgment in sugar mills case
The Lahore High Court (LHC) has issued a detailed written judgment on a petition seeking the return of funds deposited as surety by Punjab Chief Minister Maryam Nawaz in the Chaudhry Sugar Mills case. A three-member full bench headed by Chief Justice Aalia Neelum released the eight-page verdict, directing the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) to file a reference before the accountability court within one week for formal closure of the case. The court further ordered that the accountability court in Lahore shall decide the reference within one month.
from Pakistan News, Latest News Pakistan, Pakistan Headline | The Express Tribune https://ift.tt/ac4H0AQ
from Pakistan News, Latest News Pakistan, Pakistan Headline | The Express Tribune https://ift.tt/ac4H0AQ
4 suspected terrorists killed in Karachi's Shah Latif Town as CTD claims foiling terror bid
The Sindh Counter Terrorism Department (CTD) on Tuesday said it killed four suspected terrorists belonging to the banned Fitna-al-Hindustan group in a successful raid at a house in Karachi's Shah Latif Town. A press release from the department said the raid took place during the night between Monday and Tuesday and resulted in the recovery of heavy weapons, explosives and other dangerous materials. "The raid was conducted based on information provided by detained suspects. However, the operation quickly escalated when the suspects opened fire on the police and launched a grenade attack, triggering an intense exchange of fire." Two policemen were injured, including Head Constable Muhammad Yousuf and Constable Muhammad Junaid. They were immediately transported to Agha Khan Hospital for medical treatment. "In the retaliatory fire, four terrorists were also injured. Despite being taken to the hospital, they later succumbed to their injuries," the CTD press release stated. The CTD promptly cordoned off the area, deploying additional forces to secure the vicinity. A bomb disposal squad was called to handle potential explosives. Upon entering the house, the squad disposed of several explosives safely. The department recovered a significant haul of weapons and explosives, including five hand grenades, one Kalashnikov rifle, a detonator, 70 feet of detonator wire, and 350 kilogrammes of explosive material. The recovered weapons and explosives were safely transported to a secure location. According to the CTD, the suspected terrorists were part of the Bashir Zaib group and had been planning a major terrorist attack. The press release said the department remained vigilant, focusing its efforts on dismantling terrorist networks and ensuring the safety and security of the public. Last month, terrorists belonging to Fitna-al-Hindustan launched attacks in several parts of Balochistan, leaving dozens of civilians dead. The attacks prompted Pakistan’s security forces to launch counterterrorism operations against the terrorists.
from Pakistan News, Latest News Pakistan, Pakistan Headline | The Express Tribune https://ift.tt/7EOGmxJ
from Pakistan News, Latest News Pakistan, Pakistan Headline | The Express Tribune https://ift.tt/7EOGmxJ
Monday, February 16, 2026
Fast-track property laws notified
The government has formally issued a gazette notification introducing new laws aimed at ending the years-long delays in cases related to the division of property and ancestral inheritance. Certified copies of the new legislation and SOPs have been circulated to district and sessions judges, all revenue department officers, commissioners, deputy commissioners, additional deputy commissioners (revenue), patwar circles and tehsildars to ensure effective implementation. Under the new notification, hearings in property partition cases will now be conducted electronically instead of through traditional paper files. Litigants will be able to access details of their hearings online from home. The time frame for deciding partition cases has been reduced from 180 days to 60 days. If a revenue officer fails to decide a case within 60 days, it will automatically be transferred to the assistant commissioner. Across Punjab, legal heirs will also be able to mutually divide inherited property through a simplified process. To ensure speedy dispute resolution, cases may be referred to a mediation committee. The time limit for filing an appeal has been fixed at 30 days and appellate decisions must also be made within 30 days. Factors causing procedural delays have been eliminated and no appeal will be allowed against interim orders. The government has implemented these changes through amendments to the Punjab Land Revenue Act, 1967. Commenting on the new law, District Bar Association President Tariq Mahmood Sajid Awan said meaningful results would depend on effective implementation. He noted that although the earlier law required decisions within 180 days, cases often dragged on for up to 10 years. While the time frame has now been reduced, its practical impact remains to be seen. Currently, nearly one million cases related to property and ancestral land disputes are pending across Punjab in courts, competent authorities and revenue boards, many of them pending for one to five years. He urged the government to issue immediate orders to dispose of pending cases within 40 days, warning that if old cases continue to linger, new cases may not be taken up for three to four years.
from Pakistan News, Latest News Pakistan, Pakistan Headline | The Express Tribune https://ift.tt/VZl9dBb
from Pakistan News, Latest News Pakistan, Pakistan Headline | The Express Tribune https://ift.tt/VZl9dBb
Mohsin Naqvi made more efforts than anyone to secure Imran Khan's release, Gandapur claims
Former Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa chief minister Ali Amin Gandapur on Monday claimed that Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi had made more efforts than anyone to secure the release of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) founder Imran Khan. Imran, 73, has been jailed since August 2023 after convictions he and the PTI call politically motivated. Since his 2022 ouster in a no-confidence vote, he has faced multiple cases, including over state gifts and an unlawful marriage. Some convictions have been suspended or overturned, with appeals pending. He denies wrongdoing. Naqvi has been a frequent subject of criticism from Imran and his party amid their tribulations and challenges. However, during an interview on Nadeem Malik Live on a private broadcaster, Gandapur said: "No one else made the same level of effort. I have said this before, within the party, and now I am saying it on air: Mohsin Naqvi made vigorous efforts to resolve the issue. He made more efforts than anyone else to ensure Imran Khan’s release." Gandapur said that Naqvi had spoken up for Imran even in front of Chief of Defence Forces and Chief of the Army Staff Field Marshal Asim Munir, which "no one else dared to do". "Naqvi is the only person I have seen who can even get the Field Marshal to engage in a conversation. But I haven’t seen anyone else do that," the former chief minister assed. He further stated that that the PTI was angry with Naqvi for how he had treated the party, "including me, Imran was angry with him, but now I acknowledge Naqvi’s role in attempting to resolve the matter". Gandapur also mentioned that he no longer had any contact with the interior minister and that he did not hold any official position to discuss the matter. Last year, in October, Gandapur resigned as chief minister of K-P following directives from PTI founder. Despite stepping down, Gandapur remained a strong advocate for dialogue regarding Imran’s release. He frequently stressed that any negotiations should only involve those who held genuine decision-making authority, making it clear that Imran would not engage in talks with individuals lacking the necessary mandate. Gandapur was noted to have a more cordial relationship with Naqvi than most others in the PTI.
from Pakistan News, Latest News Pakistan, Pakistan Headline | The Express Tribune https://ift.tt/5qJI0Lx
from Pakistan News, Latest News Pakistan, Pakistan Headline | The Express Tribune https://ift.tt/5qJI0Lx
Sunday, February 15, 2026
Gilani backs parliamentary democracy
Senate Chairman Yousuf Raza Gilani met Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU) President Dr Tulia Ackson in New York and reaffirmed Pakistan's commitment to parliamentary democracy, multilateralism, and global cooperation through active engagement with the IPU. He conveyed greetings and appreciated the IPU's role as the global forum of parliaments, a statement received here said on Sunday. Gilani said Pakistan considers IPU an important platform for dialogue, rule of law, inclusive governance, and parliamentary cooperation while highlighting the country's participation in IPU assemblies and committees.
from Pakistan News, Latest News Pakistan, Pakistan Headline | The Express Tribune https://ift.tt/zrQsgOK
from Pakistan News, Latest News Pakistan, Pakistan Headline | The Express Tribune https://ift.tt/zrQsgOK
Subscribe to:
Comments (Atom)
Nov 2024 protest was a missed opportunity to secure Imran's release, Rana Sanaullah says
Prime Minister’s Adviser on Political Affairs Rana Sanaullah claimed on Wednesday that during the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf’s (PTI) November ...
-
Punjab Group of Colleges Chairman Mian Amer Mahmood has said creating new provinces is an urgent need as it would bring development, make po...
-
LAHORE: Special Assistant to Chief Minister Punjab for Information, Dr Firdous Ashiq Awan, has said that Prime Minister Imran Khan will lay...
-
ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister (PM) Imran Khan has said despite the coronavirus pandemic, there is another good news for our economy, ARY News r...